Thread: Leased vs Buy
View Single Post
      07-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #31
dmontic71
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Garage List
I respect everyone's opinion, but I really don't think this is a case of "do whatever you are more comfortable with". There are clear cut situations where buying or leasing are better options. If you want to modify the car, drive 50k miles per year, keep the car for 10 years, pay cash, etc- then buying is clearly a great option. If you drive 12-15k miles, and want a new car every 3 years, a well negotiated lease payment is simply less per month than a 36 month finance payment. If you finance for 60 months, while only intending to keep the car 36 months, you take on all of the liability that the car will be worth less than you owe when you trade it in. If you get in to an accident, you have to disclose at trade in, if we find out next year that F30s catch on fire spontaneously, its hits your trade in value.

The lease on the other hand has gap insurance, a fixed cost, and you simply pay for what you use and give them back the keys at the end. Again respectfully, not sure how this is subjective unless you want to modify the car, drive an insane amount of miles, or keep it for a long time (unless there is some business/tax reason, or your credit worthiness affects the lease rates, etc)....