11-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #51
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm not doubting your figures here, but if you are 'nursing' the engine, I'm surprised you are so low. The 328i I tested was very economical on the OBC, driving the way I was driving my 330d. In fact if the OBC was accurate, at 42.4mpg after 90 miles, I was bettering the mpg driving my 330d touring in the same manner.

We need more mpg data, and that takes time and experience to get the true picture of a model's consumption. The average showing up on Honest John's Real MPG site for the 328i saloon is 38.6mpg for the auto, so setting the pattern of what it can do.

Don't forget the 6-pot petrols can deliver some impressive results when cruising at around 70mph. My 5-series will be around 40mpg at a constant 70mph.

We still haven't got much data on the 330d, but first 'longer use' postings on this site, averaged about 41mpg, didn't they? I jest, but that is giving us a clue to comsumption.

The Honest John Real MPG figure for the F10 530d auto is showing 38.8mpg. What's the typical 3-series improvement on the five, for a similar engine, about 3mpg as an average?

Of course we will get the high figures, "my 330d does 50mpg", etc., but the averages are what sets the true baseline for comparing consumption.

HighlandPete
Well when we say "average" then "how long is a piece of string?", I mean most of my driving is "out of town" I do not do much town driving at all, and traffic jams I avoid also, so my MPG is usually better than most, if I stick to 70MPH in this 328i it will show 40MPG on journeys over 30 miles, on my commute to the golf club on duel and A roads I cover 25 miles each way and the 328i shows 36 MPG each way, this is from cold not a reset.
It is impressive BUT no booting involved at all, just a cruise.
I had the 330D M Sport touring for a days drive and it showed 53MPG on the same driving areas with some Booting thrown in
So in my area with my style the diesel shows more driving grunt and way better MPG> I must be lucky to live out of town.
If I lived in London no way would I bother with any engine size above 1 litre, you just sit in first gear all day long.
My conclusion would be your MPG is only relevant to the local environment the car lives in.