View Single Post
      04-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #25
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcad View Post
I'm in Germany and also ready to order (US spec) 328ix sportwagon, Msport, EB2, tech , DHP, paddles, alarm. I've driven several demo cars with different options on weekend road trips during my Bavarian blitz because I too am uncertain about the options. My take: Tech(the HUD is awesome and very useful both in the city and when driving fast on the autobahn). DHP-is really good if you want a tight car (especially the x-drive where you CANT get sport suspension) The heated wheel is nice but I'm not sure I want to spend an extra $2,400 to get it (leather plus CWP). The vinyl is really good-even for 6 hour trips. The paddles are fun (thats why I'm getting them), but you can' hope to shift this slick 8 speed as well as the auto does it in sport mode. Lights-Frankly I think people are ordering the lights for the looks, not the function (?). I currently have Xenons on my CTSV and have driven 3s with and without-no big deal IMO.
The need for xenons is really dependent on where you live and drive.
If you live in the city xenon's won't add much to night lighting.
But if one likes the angel eyes halo, then xenons are the way to go.
If you live in suburbs or country area xenon's are VERY functional as the lighting in the suburbs and especially country areas is quite limited.
Xenons provide a VERY noticeable lighting advantage allowing you to see farther, brighter, and sharper.

OP:
As you've already figured out, if you go with a 335i you'll get more standard items for the increased price. And along with the price increase you get the bigger brakes and the more powerful and smoother engine.
The 328i's 2.0 turbo is an excellent engine with plenty of strong power.
The 2.0T is more than up to the job.
Granted, the 3.0 isn't outrageously more powerful, but it is noticeably more powerful and quicker.
The 0-60 with the AT has been tested to be anywhere from .5 to 1 second faster. It depends on you if that makes a difference. But it's not just the time difference in acceleration it's also the feel of the acceleration, which is noticeably stronger with the 3.0T for obvious reasons, it's 50% larger in displacement, plus the inline 6 configuration is legendary in it's smoothness.

Leather isn't necessary as the leatherette is an excellent and more durable material, despite some thinking that the leather BMW uses is more durable, it isn't.
If you look at 3yr + used 3 series you'll see that the leather shows wear, and the leatherette does not. But if you keep the leather clean and conditioned, as one should with all leather, over time the leather becomes softer and more supple and takes on an "aged" patina that's unique to leather.
The leatherette doesn't require the added work and it'll look the same after 3yrs as it did when new.
If you get leather, then consider the whole premium pkg as you get some usable items for not much more money like the auto dimming rearview and side mirrors, and homelink that replaces the need for a separate garage door opener remote.

All F30's come with blue-tooth. The "enhanced" option simply gives you the option to stream audio. If you need or want that, then it'll cost $650 in US pricing.

The "sport AT" option is $500 and for many of us it's worth it.
With it you get paddles shifters, a different and cool looking gear lever with leather boot. The performance enhancement is that ZF and BMW claim that the sport AT can perform up and down shifts more responsively and do it a tad quicker.

If you go with sport or Msport you will get the sport suspension.
On a RWD you will get the full sport suspension including the stiffer springs, lower ride height, and sport dampers. This enhances handling due to the stiffer springs and stronger damping, but also due to the reduced ride height that lowers the cars center of gravity.
With Xdrive you only get the sport dampers but you don't get the lower ride height.

DHP pkg with RWD on sport and Msport with have the same lower ride height, but will include the adaptive dampers that continually adjust their damping based on road surface conditions. Also, you can set the dampers to 2 different settings, 'comfort/normal' or 'sport'.
The difference in the settings is noticeable. In 'comfort' the stiffer springs are controlled in a softer manner allowing for a more compliant and smoother ride on bumpy roads and on longer highway drives where you won't feel the undulations as much and the ride will not be as "busy" or "bumpy".
When in 'sport' mode the dampers firm up and provide stronger damping control of the springs providing better chassis control on twisty roads, and it reduces body lean angles in turns and transitional handling.
The advantage to adaptive dampers is more that you can have a softer and smoother ride when you're on the highway or smoother roads and don't need the added firmness.
In 'sport' mode the firmness isn't much different than the standard sport dampers as it feels pretty much the same. Yet still with the adaptive dampers in sport they do provide active damping control and adjust themselves better and quicker than the no adaptive so there is a bit more control over the springs over different pavement conditions.

With DH pkg you also get the variable ratio steering rack that increases ratio once you pass 100 degrees of steering wheel turn. This means that once you've turned the steering more the wheels/tires will turn even more as you add more steering. This is advantageous more so in parking lots and when parking in general where you do use bigger steering angle inputs.
It's not a huge difference, but it's included and does help when parking a little bit.

DH pkg with Xdrive. You will get the adaptive dampers, but you won't get the lower stiffer sport springs. You'll get a bit better handling when you set the dampers to 'sport' but it won't feel the same as it does on a RWD.
I think this is a bad decision on BMW's part.
Audi offers a sport and adaptive suspension on their AWD's and they include lower and stiffer sport springs.
If you really need AWD, the Xdrive is it. But, consider that a RWD will cost less and give you the full sport suspension. With the cost savings you can get a winter wheel set with winter/snow tires.
Many drivers have experienced great winter control with on RWD with winter/snow tires.

Like you I wanted what I felt was necessary and didn't get tech that I didn't want, even though some of those things add more luxury convenience.
But what is necessary and what is luxury is different based on individual wants.
I wanted a louder and cleaner audio so I paid for the HK.
I have no use for NAV or the heads up display, nor the enhanced BT.
My 335i Msport:
Sport AT
Premium pkg.
DH pkg.
MSRP: around $52,000 US pricing.
I went with the 18" summer tires, but I've since installed Conti DWS AS tires that I use year round.

Whew, that was a long post.
Appreciate 0