View Single Post
      10-05-2021, 02:40 PM   #35
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLomi View Post
Sure, but I'm trying to understand what you are comparing to? Can you share that?

I'm not making any judgements. Just trying to understand.
No offense taken, and actually a great question. We are comparing it to other intercooler logs we've seen.

It's hard to have a basis of "good" and "bad" without defining what they mean.
The BEST ICs are typically about 10F to 20F above ambient. Outside of that, it starts to get more trivial.

Let’s say you live in a region that doesn't go over 75F ambient, this intercooler or the like may be fine for daily driving and occasional fun, however

If you track your car, do Auto cross or even drive hard, it's going to be difficult if not impossible to keep the intake temperatures in the optimal range considering you won't have enough time to allow the IC to disburse all the heat.

Remember this is just a stage 1 tune, this doesn't even factor in running a hotter stage 2 tune, or a bigger turbo, or higher ambient temperatures.

Here is a real world example:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1862698
A member dyno’d their car, and already maxed out the intercooler. This lead to a loss of 30whp on the 3rd pull!

This is with a 2 minute cool down (approx) between pulls and unknown fans, but it’s a good illustration on how inadequate IC performance can measurably impact you in the real world.

Basically, give yourself some sort of buffer, especially if you have bigger plans.

Edit: I actually wrote this at work, which reading it back before I edited - made absolutely zero sense. I can’t multitask for crap. Either way, I’ve edited this post just to make my thoughts more concise, all while keeping it to the topic at hand.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 10-05-2021 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: Grammar, to make it more concise
Appreciate 0