View Single Post
      12-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #101
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus2003 View Post
Does anyone here believe that BMW would actually admit that due to faulty engineering/workmanship one of their cars caught on fire, assuming normal driving conditions and no third party tampering? I highly doubt it. So their internal investigation ending up as inconclusive does not mean much, however, the insurance company's assessment is another issue.

The dealer's discount is generous/fair, depending on your personal threshold of such, but regardless if BMW is at fault or not, to ask a customer to sign a release and absolve themselves from any future liability is bonkers IMHO. It's like saying to a patient: "I'll prescribe and even pay for your medication and treatment, but sign here first so that any complications you experience thereafter are your problem, and not my responsibility or that of my department/institution."
Pretty sure if BMW launches an investigation they'd have to hire a third party independent investigator who has to publicize any results. That's how most of these liability investigations work....

Also doctor analogy is flawed. In the case of the doctor, they are absolving any responsibility for a surgery PERFORMED AT THAT MOMENT OR LATER, WHERE THE RESULTS ARE UNKOWN.

BMW is offering a NEW CAR WITH WARRANTY, in return for NO FURTHER PRESS ABOUT A PREVIOUS RESOLVED ISSUE WITH KNOWN CONSEQUENCES. They are NOT ABSOLVING LIABILITY (two separate investigations already did that), but rather limiting option of going to the press/public. It's non-disclosure, not release of liability.

It's like a doctor saying "hey so apparently after your last tooth cleaning, you randomly developed a rash on your arm. Now I have no idea whether this rash is due to sth during the cleaning, or cause you ate something you're allergic to or got stun by some bug. But here, I'll give you $7,500 in freebies plus WARRANTY on said freebies so you don't go around blaming me for it."
Appreciate 0