12-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #50
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron1973 View Post
Why does non visible surface oxidisation inside a car matter? It will hardly spread?
To be honest I'm split between 'does it matter?' and 'it shouldn't be like that!'.

I'm more concerned about the rust on the hinges as that is visible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Does come as a surprise, let's hope BMW man up and sort this without customers getting all kinds of local solutions.

I imagine some process has completely broken down, as this must be an automated procedure, plus it affects different production parts. (Different model ranges).

Production obviously went on a while with this issue, before a faulty process was identified, or the volume/timeframe would be much more limited.

I do wonder if it is something to do with some new system involving degreasing, the paint itself, or the application process.

But it does appear so odd, how it is affecting some material sections, but appears flawless in other areas of the same seat pan.

Will require a very good PR exercise to limit the fall out.

HighlandPete
Probably hard to tell from my original pic but it almost looks like the part has been allowed to sit in water. Obviously that's unlikely but that's how it looks.
Appreciate 0