Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
The new "what" is basically a tuned 335i? The new M3? How do you know, it hasn't even been revealed yet?
the engine has been confirmed on this forum a few times as the 335 block, turbos etc
think of the 1m engine, it was basically a 335is engine, contrary to what BMW said.

Quote:
E9x M3 had a bespoke motor, sure. But if you think the F80 is basically gonna be a tweaked 335i just because it shares the same block size, I don't think you give ///M engineers enough credit. If anything, I think the F80 will be just as differentiated (if not more) than the standard E90 was to the E90M.]
those same engineers also gave us the 1m
which was a parts bin special
i said it then, and i'll say it again, the 1m was a test
it worked well (because they limited production), so expect this parts bin mentality to continue
unfortunately, i don't think engineers are the driving force at BMW anymore
its the bean counters and the marketing people now
hence why the M logo is now on almost everything they sell

Quote:
Would it make sense that the give the F80 some bespoke motor, and cut back on other differentiating parts (like suspension, diff, etc) just so they can say "hey the M3/M4 has a bespoke motor"? You can't make everything "bespoke" and expect to keep costs under control, both internally and to the end customer. What's the trade off? A bespoke TTV6 in the F80 (that produces same performance as a S55), but lose the new diff? Lose the carbon fiber roof? Increase the price an additional $10K over the normal M3 premium?

no
i expect an M3 to have bespoke engine, suspension, brakes etc
which is why the M3 costs as much as it does
but don't tell me it's about costs
because i guarantee you the new M3 will be more expensive than the existing shape, but it will be using a lot more shared parts with the 335
hence higher profit. It's not about costs and transfering those cost savings to the end user

my problem is i am fine with paying 33% more for an M3 when i know a lot of time went into the engineering, and special parts were made for it etc

but to expect me to pay 33% more for the new M3 (i'd guess it will be higher)
for what is basically the same car, with a nicer tune, is ludicrous