View Single Post
      02-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #27
DanITman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsfw777 View Post
I don't see how OTA updates will work. The 2015-1 map updates are 14 GB. That’s a huge amount of cellular data. It took me 8 hours to get the files via a torrent on a desktop with a fast connection. How could a 3G cellular connection ever complete this update?

My dealer owes me a free update as part of my deal when I bought the car and I can't get my F34 past 2013-2 because if you go to the official update site, it says there is no update.

I'm just going to bite the bullet and pay my $50 for now because this whole update thing is a major "donkey dung" show. It should be DIY and it should be free since we already paid $2000 for something that costs $100 at best buy.
Charging for updates on new cars is so 1997.
The maps that you are "updating" are actually full versions of the maps. You're replacing the maps on your current system with the new versions. Since BMW is paying for the data on connected drive they will figure out a way to update the maps instead of replacing them.

If you code your car you can actually generate your own FSC code instead of purchasing one. I ended up purchasing a few FSC codes and was able to get the price down to $40. Ask your friends if they want their maps updated and save yourself a couple bucks. $40 is a steal compared to what the dealership wants to charge you.
Appreciate 0