01-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #58
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
I edited the values for curb weights for the various BMW 3 series models with AT, as they were somewhat wrong. Interesting how there's about a 300lb difference between a 328i 6MT and 335ix AT. The gulf between an S4 and 328i MT is huge and will definitely be MUCH different in terms of driving dynamics - especially in corners.

But the 335ix drive is only 200lbs lighter than the S4, and with the weight balance thrown off with the heavier engine/x drive equipment, I would think there won't be too big of a difference between them. I've actually read some complaints about xdrive understeer when exiting corners, since the xdrive will clutch power towards the front when applying heavy throttle at moderate speeds. The ZF rear torque vectoring on the S4 is the star in this situation, which is designed specifically to combat the understeer without applying brakes on the inner wheels.

The sensation of RWD vs AWD is what really distinguishes the two. The vehicle pitch due to RWD acceleration is awesome, you can't argue with how satisfying it is. The S4 feels more like a pull, and while it is probably overall harsher and faster, it doesn't cause you to lean back like the 3 series (but it definitely puts a smile on my face ).

Since you have had both cars, do you notice the weight? Does the Audi feel sporty to you, is it nimble, do you have a manual? Thanks.
Appreciate 0