View Single Post
      01-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

ActiveHybrid 3

The ActiveHybrid 3 was unveiled alongside the F30 series at the launch at BMW Welt. It looks fantastic and the performance figures seem to be impressive. Its the 306hp 35i plus a 54hp electric motor. Weirdly, all data I see on it says that the total output is 335hp and any retard can see that doesn't add up. Maybe the power is lost somewhere but I don't really care. What I do care about is this:
Emissions. Being most likely that our next car will an F30 328i, surely this means I'm in the market for an ActiveHybrid 3. 147g/km and 44mpg are the claimed figures for the 328i and I think that the CO2 will be even lower on the ActiveHybrid. I come to this conclusion by comparing the F10 535i to the ActiveHybrid 5. There is a MASSIVE reduction in CO2, right down to 149g/km. In the lighter F30, it must be 147g/km or less. Ace! MPG - 44.1. Again, in the lighter 3er -- Happy Days!

Now, the cons. There are 2 as far as I can see and I'm not sure that the first one is necessarily a con.
1) On the ActiveHybrid 5, they have given it rather a lot of equipment including Navigation Professional, Steptronic and other chuff that you want. Thats great but the starting price is £46k which is a lot. If they do the same on the ActiveHybrid 3, what will the price be? I'm guessing between £41-43k. Putting that into my personal calculations, it is affordable and the price difference to our loaded 328i negligible. This makes me very excited for it!
2) The electric motor is reported to thake up some boot (or trunk if you're American) space. How much space will it take up?

So in conclusion, I'm really looking forward to seeing the ActiveHybrid 3 and if it launches in the UK this year, I will seriously consider hanging on to our 330d to get the Hybrid. I never thought I would say that. In fact, I bet nobody had ever said "I'll hang on to the BMW so I can get the new Hybrid." Eat that Prius!!!!
To finish off, I will summarise my questions.
A) When will the ActiveHybrid 3 launch in the UK?
B) How much will it cost?
C) How much boot space will the electric motor take up?
D) What will the CO2 g/km be?
E) What will its combined MPG be?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and responses.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)

Last edited by SomeRandomer123; 01-01-2012 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0