View Single Post
      05-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #134
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
i wonder how big of an aftermarket the 328i will see....or if the major companies will focus more on the N55.
I know this question was some time ago, but I thought I would give my answer.

The 328i outsells the 335i by a LOT.
If memory serves, in the US, the 328i is over 70% of all 3 sales. I believe that includes coupes and sedans.
So, there would be a huge number of customers in the aftermarket.

Now, the question becomes, of those 328i buyers, how many are likely interested in a "tune"?
I'll guess that before the N20, there are more 335i drivers interested in tuning. With the N20 I'll bet the market for wanting a tune will be much greater. There will probably be some buyers who will go for the N20 over the 335i given the lower cost, and still be tuneable.

I'm in the market right now. I currently drive a 135i.
The N20 328i is swaying me very much. I can't believe how smooth an inline 4 can be. BMW did an excellent job on the smoothness of this engine.
But, since I'm in the US, engine size doesn't matter for taxation.
Couple that with my leasing preference, the monthly between a 328i and 335i is not that much more.
So for not much more monthly I can have the extra power of the 335i and not have to get a tune, thus keeping my warranty intact.

If I were doing a loan purchase, the 328i's lower cost gives more money left in the budget to do more than just a tune. You can get a tune plus a nice adjustable suspension, and that will give a very nice upgrade to an already sweet automobile.
Appreciate 0