View Single Post
      07-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCali View Post
What is it you doubt? That a $2,000 braking system will reduce braking from 60MPH by only 5 feet? Seems like a very conservative estimate. And Michelin has already said the Pilot Super Sports reduce the distance by 4.5" feet. So 109 minus 4.5 minus 5 equals 99.5 feet. So 99.5' would be easy. If the M Braking System reduces braking by 10 feet, you'll be at 94.5'.
Is Michelin's claim of 4.5 feet on a 335i by swapping our stock tires for Michelin Super Sports or is it for a different car with different tires to begin with? If it's some blanket statement, I wouldn't expect more than a couple of feet at best. The M-performance brakes will likely help out more from preventing brake fade and brake feel, but more information needs to be known before any conclusion can be met on stopping distance, including swept area, pad type, etc.

It takes a lot of braking power to stop a 3550lb 335i in sub 100 feet ranges. Most cars with that kind of weight need 15"+ rotors and/or 6 piston calipers, etc and are running low tread Pilot Sport Cup tires to pull off that feat.

I think on Super Sports it might be a little tougher to pull it off with.

Here's a semi recent list of stock sub-100 foot braking cars.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/m...t/viewall.html
Appreciate 0