DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
How many people here have ever been on a road course, let alone brought their BMW?

99.9% of BMW's however, will never see a road course - so while you could easily outfit your car for the track, it doesn't make sense to put those all into a daily driver. People already are pissed at the M-sport's more aggressive brake compounds because they are more likely to squeal.

They praise the car for it's drivability and consistency, which is something you can appreciate in the day to day.
Agreed. For a while now, the 3 series have been built to please the majority of people who buy them - most of whom will not take it to a track, but will complain about attributes that would make it best set up for fast laps... e.g. aggressive brake pads, stiff suspension, grippy (fast-wearing, non-RFT) tires.
That's why enthusiasts will either buy an M3, or modify their 3 series for improved performance with lightweight wheels/sticky tires, suspension mods, more power, and in my case, an LSD.

It's all about striking the balance that works for each driver. The 335 is a great car, but for many of us, it's best enjoyed with a few tweaks. I'm OK with that, and that's the reason I don't get too bent out of shape about tests with stock BMWs where they come up short against cars like the Camaro (which I'd never like as a DD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Once you decide you want a track rat, that's when you go out and buy an E36, strip it to the core, and take it out for an HPDE.
This is probably the best solution... it's fun to take your DD fast on a track, but if you really want to get serious, then it makes sense to have a car JUST for that.

Last edited by DVC; 09-09-2013 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0