Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
You never noticed they weren't charging your credit card or taking money from your checking account for payments? Providing your card information to start auto payments is a convenience but I don't think it means you never have to confirm payments are being made. I have several autopay payments (including my auto insurance) but see the charges every month.

If you have an insurance card that shows a still-active policy, I think you would have a basis for dispute if you had an accident and they refused coverage, particularly if they never sent notices of cancellation. However, you didn't have an accident and contend your intent was to pay for the policy but they didn't take your payment. I'm not sure there is an argument you don't owe the payments now unless you want to treat the policy as cancelled ever since they said coverage stopped.
Only poor people look at their accounts every month. I haven't looked at mine in at least 6 months

I would make sure the DMV won't hit you with some penalty if you were not covered and then just not pay the 7 months if they won't. Change companies ASAP either way. That is pretty weird. My agent calls me every 3-4 months just to check in and update me on my policies (and try to sell me a bigger umbrella coverage, lol)
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0