View Single Post
      02-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #116
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
No my figures are still dead on. This guy wrongly assumed that "0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec)" is the same and it is NOT.

Small displacement 4-cyl. turbo are always disadvantaged in the real life 5-60mph and an Audi A4Q Tip gets also a lazy 7.8s.
Small turbo's and automatics can be a disadvantage. That's why a good driver adjusts their driving style, and tries to brake torque an automatic to get more revs.
Also, the A4 you reference used the old tech 6spd auto, which has been replaced with a new 8spd auto that is more responsive and is better to able to use the low rpm torque that most modern small displacement turbo's have.
Audi's 2.0T is now dated. They need an update.
BMW's 2.0T is modern and has less lag than Audi's.

In the A4 years you reference, an A4 2.0T with MT did 60 in the low 6's.
I had that model, and with a MT it was very responsive. The tip was sucky and didn't play well with the 2.0T. Audi's new 8spd AT is much better and quicker even with the same engine it had n 2011.

Your info is old and becoming irrelevant.

I also agree with others here, "fuel efficiency" is NOT measured on how much it costs per year. It depends on how many MPG's it can achieve.
If you get more MPG on a given engine, then it follows that it will cost less per year.
If you're using figures for an engine that uses 87 octane, then it's not the whole story either as 87 costs less. Most people don't look at that, they look at the MPG.
If you want to make a case for 87, fine. Then, you'll have to test a 328i with 87 octane as well, and then compare the MPG using the same test cycle. That test cycle will prove positive for the BMW because it won't get the engine into an area where the knock sensor will go off, cause the engine can run just fine on 87, the power will be slightly reduced it there is knock.
It's not that BMW engines can't be run on 87, it's just that if you want the best performance with best power then you need to use the optimal octane.
So, both ways don't tell the whole story if you don't present the whole story.
Appreciate 0