View Single Post
      08-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #32
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
That doesn't really rebut what I said. I said: "The engine used in the Z4 GTE/GT3 cars has nothing to do with the production engine [in the Z4]." When was the last time the Z4 was offered with the S65 (the engine upon which the P65 is based)? My point to the OP was that there's nothing stopping BMW from dropping the P65 in to an F8x shell for racing purposes (or at least trying).
Gotchya, misunderstood what you were trying to say. Only sticking point with continuing to use the P65 is the engine it is based upon is no longer in production. That fact is kinda in a grey area of the homologation rules. Also if BMW has decided to go all forced induction in the showroom, one would think they would want to represent that in their racing programs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
The question of homologation requirements with the Z4/P65 combo is well tread ground (example). I don't think anyone fully understands how/why the P65 has been permitted in the Z4 when the production car has no such engine. My theory is that IMSA/USCC simply needs to keep race cars in the grid to keep the series alive.
Agree 100%. IMSA simply didn't want to lose BMW from the grid. I just wonder why other makes don't follow suit and convert their GT3 car into GTLM specs. Would IMSA allow other makes to circumvent the homologation rules...who knows?

Last edited by DieGrüneHölle; 08-14-2014 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0