02-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Surely it's to do with Android brand 'fragmentation' though. Think how many different (outdated) Android versions and handsets there are out there. Not to say the various UIs like Samsung's TouchWiz or HTC's Sense. The only 'pure' Android handsets that compare with iPhones are the Nexus devices and they sell in tiny numbers.

iPhones are much of a muchness, generally run the most up to date version of iOS and I would guess are the easiest to support. I can't blame BMW for following Apple even though it annoys me.
Yep, good point. I can't help thinking that the underlying code for handling messages is unchanged, with generally just the UI being modified by the manufacturers. I'm no coder, but given how well Android apps work across a range of recent Android devices, I can't think it's rocket science to get past Sense or TouchWiz. There are lots of developer out there who make a good living on Android apps, so they can't be writing fundamentally different versions for each current device.

Anyway, I share your annoyance ... let's hope they try for more integration soon.
Appreciate 0