02-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #30
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
Matt from Jalopnik here, I've definitely enjoyed some of these theories (Oh I wish we had those kinds of photoshop skills).

The photo is 100% real and BavarianFanatic 100% got it right when he noticed the snow is up to the wheels, making any AWD system useless. I'll explain in greater detail below, because it's hilarious.

I had a new C7 Corvette convertible (with Pilot Alpin snow tires) and Travis had the 4-series with xDrive (and Sottozeros, IIRC). We had a day of driving around the snow with no problems and then we pulled into a lot where I tend to park my press cars.

This is the same lot where the week prior I'd done some great snowy donuts in a WRX, which Travis saw pics of.

Being clever, and knowing that a layer of ice had formed under the snow, I'd already shoveled out a nice ice-free spot for the Corvette and backed it in.

I had neglected to tell Travis about this and he drove right into the middle of it. Or, well, tried. Between the hard, wet snow lifting his car like a wedge, and the ice underneath it, there wasn't much the car was going to do without some shoveling.

The car eventually got free, obviously. The biggest blame lies with Travis driving it into hard snow (as he references in the tweet replies to this picture ). It was the first time he'd gotten a car stuck, but if you go out to have ridiculous fun you should expect some trouble.

The lesson? Snow tires and AWD are not a guarantee that you can't get stuck. Ride height and preparation also play into it.
You mean you can't drive on snow like it's dry pavement?!
Appreciate 0