View Single Post
      10-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #21
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

My 335i brakes don't squeal.
There is too much brake travel before bite for my liking, and then too much pedal travel instead of just pressure for more braking, and the pedal makes a very loud THUNK when I release it quickly to get back on throttle, but no squeal.
Oh, and it feels like the system needs to be bled even though there's only 1900 miles on them.
The pedal feels too soft and a little mushy. Too bad really, cause they don't feel very BMW like.
My former E46 325i sport and 135i felt better.

Brake dust is as bad, or good, as my 135i with Brembo's.
It seems the 135i and F30 Msports use the same pad material.
135i had lots of brake dust just like my 335i Msport.
Brake feel and overall operation was a good bit better in my 135i.

Those of you how have squeal, did you 'bed' your brakes within a day or two when new?
I bed new brakes ALWAYS, whether a new car or freshly installed new rotors and pads.

If you're mechanically inclined, you can see if there is an anti squeal shim kit available and install it, which may not be likely as these are fairly new.
Or, you can get some high temp black grease and apply a light coating to the OUTSIDE of the pad, the side that does NOT touch the rotor.
The grease acts as a damper to quell the vibration caused by braking that sets up the squeal sound. Works great.
Just make sure and positive that you do NOT get any grease on the actual pad side.
If you can do this yourself, ask your tech to do it for you.

While you or your mechanic are in there anyway, take some sanding to the rotor and brake pad to remove any residue build up.
Once it's all back together, the first thing you should do is a bedding procedure. Look on line for a few suggestions, they all work pretty well.
Tire Rack lists some as well.
Read up on a few procedures to get an idea of what needs to be done, and then do it.
Appreciate 0