View Single Post
      02-13-2011, 01:52 AM   #5
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Since I returned to Germany I had a closer look at AutoMotor Und Sport's article.

The Magazine AutoMotor Und Sport refers to the FWD based 1er van but chose to mis-interpret the car by showing a chop with a Gran Turismo crossed with a VW Sharan.

As you are well aversed in, that BMW do not do vans and straight facsimile of certain concepts. The rendering in the UK car magazine of the GT compact sports Tourer mimics the outline of the production car , again looking anything unlike a van.

The BMW 3er Advanced Family Activity Sports Tourer has come about because in Europe there is demand for such a vehicle , especially for those with a large family and the need for extra flexibility. In a way it will be a bigger brother for the BMW 1er based FWD/AWD FAST- Family Activity Sports Tourer , however the 3er will be RWD.

The question asked is why must the customer conform?
Why should the only option be a van with windows if the customer who enjoys driving but needs the space and flexibility be reduced to a single euro box concept? Why cant a concept be done differently using the same idea but more in shape of a car instead of a van?

Advanced Family Activity Sports Tourer carries over where the RFK left off ,
Taking on the appearance of a more sporty elongated Touring model with the space of an MPV and the solidity of an SAV. Just because one idea had to be re-evaluated for one segment does not mean it wont work for another.
Given the projections for these segments to increase throughout this decade BMW are not the only manufacturer looking at the options available.
Audi are looking at the A4/A6 to implement the Roadjet, And both E-Klasse and C-Klasse Mercedes-Benz models are being looked at for similar purpose.

But BMW know that the car cannot be a van with windows.
That is why it will be anything but , of course it is all on whether BMW decide to take the 3er based concept to production.