11-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #14
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Found this article that seems relevant.

"The issue of defective pixels that are not performing properly because they are permanently lit or switched-off is a grey area. The ISO 13406-2 standard introduced rules regarding defective pixels in relation to screen size saying a certain number of defective pixels may be tolerated. But an ISO standard is not a legal requirement and not all manufacturers interpret ISO 13406-2 in exactly the same way, if they even follow it at all.

Companies tend to have their own policies; some have a zero tolerance for defective pixels where even one is unacceptable. Others will set out what is acceptable or not by how they classify a monitor. So they will allow a certain number of defective pixels before they consider a screen or monitor defective. Manufacturers say the standard of production techniques cannot guarantee a pixel-perfect monitor, and this seems to be legally permissible.

So it could be that one or two defective pixels may not be legally considered a minor defect. (There is no case law).

What is a minor defect? The Sale of Goods Act states that goods should be free from ‘minor defects' and of a satisfactory quality. But what is not clear is if pixel problems, which while undeniably a defect, would make goods unsatisfactory. Most consumers would argue it does. The courts may disagree. From the moment, the only way to guarantee a defect-free monitor is to examine it first, or buy from a make with a zero-defect guarantee."

Conclusion seems to be that's it's a grey area. Personally I'd hope BMW would replace it. There is a visible problem and they should want the customer to be satisfied with their £30-£40K car. However, exeprience tells me otherwise - remember the fiasco over the cracks in 19" alloys a year or two back?

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0