View Single Post
      06-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
anhizer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Spare tire storage

Hey All,
Just got myself a 2013 335i (sport) and am already concerned about the Runflats/tire availability. I like to be prepared for situations outside of my control, and in the event that I need a spare tire for some reason I am considering buying one (with the jack etc) and keeping it in the car. Unfortunately all of the available options seem to just be thrown in the trunk which looks ugly. I am less concerned with the amount of space it takes up, however that is a concern as well. I was thinking about a way to minimize the "just throw it in the trunk" look while keeping the trunk somewhat usable. I have installed a few stereos in previous cars and one thing I used to do was build false floors to hide amps, wiring etc. Has anyone done this with the spare? I'm thinking I can build a box around the spare and cover it in carpeting and hopefully make it look a little better- I would probably make it easily removable as well in case I needed to bring some more stuff around. I dont think ill raise the whole floor, probably just a section around the spare. I would also make it match the contours of the trunk so that it doesn't look like a box thrown in. The other benefit of the box idea is that I can figure out some way to mount the box to prevent the spare from moving around during turns and such (I saw someone who used tie-straps which is fine for temporary use but, again, looks ugly).

Anyways, appreciate the comments / ideas.
Appreciate 0