06-04-2012, 05:25 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
Sorry but you're mistaken on this.

F30s without adaptive suspension just have bog standard passive suspension. Pressing the eco/comfort/sport button doesn't do anything to the suspension on these cars, it just alters the throttle response and steering wheel feel.
+1

There definitely is confusion on what the toggle switch does to the chassis and suspension. We had the same confusion with the F10 5-series and it is also now being discussed in the F25 X3 forum. I posted the following comment in the linked thread.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698812

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Nothing in the suspension changes, if you don't have the adaptive strut/damper with the valve on the side.

I sense from some of the postings in the threads on adaptive damping, that there is the feeling there is some secondary system which is 'modified' with the toggle switch, even if VDC is not fitted.

We had the same sort of feeling and comments when the F10 came out. True there is a difference in the feel of the car, even without VDC, when switched to sport, but it is only the steering being 'tightened' which has changed the chassis feel. (Confirmed by BMW).

It is not all in the mind either, the vehicle's dynamics do change. As a driver you do feel the difference, but it isn't a 'secondary' suspension modification.

HighlandPete
HighlandPete
Appreciate 0