View Single Post
      12-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #19
gweeta
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I think that for most people, most of the time, there is no difference between Xdrive and RWD, either in terms of handling or bad weather capabilities. That’s because most people drive nowhere near the limits of their cars and also tend to drive when the weather is OK. (Some stay home when the weather is bad, and road conditions are generally good more often than they are bad for most U.S. drivers.)

But for those who drive hard or those who face shitty roads frequently or in connection with their jobs, it does make a difference, and presumably these folks make their choices accordingly.

For others more in the middle (me included), it’s really just about which way to err. I’ll see bad roads more often than I’ll push this car to its limits. So, given that fuel economy is a push, and I can afford the difference, the choice was easy (except for the lack of a manual in the 328 with Xdrive, which is a different point). However, I could easily see someone in Florida who drives a little harder than I do making a different call.

Like lease versus buy, one size doesn’t fit all.
Appreciate 1