02-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
Sorry to hear you're disappointed. I have to say, the industry has been very naughty in misleading consumers on sound quality ever since DAB hit the market.

it was technically (by virtue of bandwidth, and hence, bit rate and bit depth) significantly inferior to FM. There is physically no chance of it sounding anywhere near as good as halfway decent FM.

Suggesting that DAB has something to do with superior sound ought to be illegal.

Anyway, sorry this doesn't help your cause. Maybe just one to put down to experience, unless you could persuade your dealer that you were wrongly led by them to believe that DAB offered better sound quality ... not sure if there's any option to retro-fit standard FM unit though.
I should have known better. I was 50/50 about this.

If the sound system in the car is a very basic one, DAB sounds OKish. However, with a higher quality sound system eg HK, the deficiencies of DAB are truly glaring. £300+ for something I don't use really grates. The only small mercy is that there is no interference.

I wonder if I could get a rebate from BMW? They are advertising DAB as the next best thing since sliced bread and are therefore perpetrating an untruth. No wonder it is free now.

Do you have DAB?