View Single Post
      04-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

You are confusing things.

Every US F30 has (6NH) Hands-free Bluetooth and USB audio connection.
This lets you make hands-free calls with BT and lets you plug in thumb drives & non-Apple MP3 players with USB mass-storage mode support and play compressed audio files from them.

Without enhanced BT/USB you will need a special Y-connector cable to work an iphone. You will not have album art. You will have control over your iphone through idrive, though the layout is a bit different. Audio files are decoded on the ipod and played through the headphone jack thru Y-cable to aux-in.

Enhanced Bluetooth is a by-product of getting BMW Assist, which is like BMW's On-Star system. See these pdfs for more info.
http://cache.bmwusa.com/pdf_c391eba0...a-749bf176e325
http://cache.bmwusa.com/pdf_80116384...4-a5ac361470f2
You get hardware (a combox) that has a cellular modem, GPS, and better Bluetooth and USB than what comes standard. You also get a 4 year subscription to the safety services described in the PDF.
  • Automatic Collision Notification
  • Emergency Request
  • Enhanced Roadside Assistance
  • MyInfo
  • Stolen Vehicle Recovery
  • Door Unlock
  • Customer Relations
  • TeleService

With the Assist hardware, you also get the enhanced BT and USB. The only benefit of enhanced BT that I know of is you get A2DP profile for wireless stereo audio streaming via BT.

With enhanced USB, you get basic iPhone/ipod integration to be able to browse songs and see album art and pulled digital files to the head unit for decoding.

BMW Apps is needed for full iphone/ipod integration and I believe this is also required to make use of the snap-in adapters. The ONLY way to make use of the sharkfin with iphone is with the adapter as it requires a special physical connection to the antenna port. This is not accessible via USB or bluetooth.

Also, the adapters are a $200 - $250 extra cost accessory.
Appreciate 0