View Single Post
      11-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #21
unintelligible
Computer Janitor
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
My biggest gripe with the 335i zf6auto was approaching a turn at high speeds, it takes a while to downshift from 6 to 5 to 4 to 3 to 2...not sure what it will be like with 8gears. I hav no doubt the zf will be damn quick, and most likely shift better than i can. But i think owning a manual is a different driving experience than even a dct. I'm an enthusiast, and feel a manual car is something every enthusiast should own at least once.
Amen. I too have a step 335 which is by far the best auto I have ever driven, and I'm sure the ZF 8 speed will be just as good if not better. But I was scared off from manuals after my first manual car - an Infiniti G37s. I only had that car for 9K miles because the clutch feel was downright awful for daily driving. The spring force quickly doubled about 3/4 through the clutch travel, and wouldn't you know it, that's where the (extremely abrupt) engagement point was. Even after a year driving that car it was downright embarrassing with passengers. And I had 4 people drive that car who exclusively drove stick, and they couldn't drive it smoothly either.

I took a bath to get out of it, but I've been much happier. But a few weeks ago, on a whim, I took a spin in a manual E90 335i, and the clutch and shifter were buttery smooth. I could not believe the difference, and was kicking myself for not having driven a BMW before buying that G37. So naturally I'm going manual with the F30!
Appreciate 0