02-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #43
Mahzari
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
A bit tongue and check, but yeah, I DO wonder why my $50k BMW squeaks.

I've owned 6 cars in my life, from Ford's to a Mitsu Evo to Acura's. Not a single one of them squeaked. I'm older too, so technically my hearing is worse and I should be picking up less noises.

THANKFULLY, i have a great tech you has literally repaired/addressed the following:
1. Squeaks
2. Rusty frames
3. Gas Cap not closing
4. Moaning steering wheel
in 9k of owning the car...
That's poor QC/fitment/finish IMO, whether it's a Ford or BMW, it's sad in this day and age. And there's no excuse, you shouldn't have to buy a $400k Phantom to get around that.
Oh don't worry, I completely agree. I take one F10 535i on a test drive and it's perfect, I take an F10 528i out and it squeaks like crazy and doesn't drive straight. I agree that BMW's quality control should be better, but I don't think it's fair to say that BMW is somehow worse than other car companies. Maybe your specific car is worse than the previous cars you owned but that's not a very large sample size.

I think that with competition, it does breed better performance, safety, and efficiency, but quality often does get left behind because as newer and newer generations come out, the prices also seem to be dropping. I think it's insane to lower the price of a car when a new iteration shows up; personally, I'd rather pay a few grand more and have a car that doesn't need to be recalled/doesn't rattle/etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Plastic is definitely the culprit in the rattle and buzz on any/every car. I also agree climate plays a huge role in how your interior behaves. The colder the climate the more prevalent these rattles are. But high temp climates bring problems of their own with expanding rubber and bringing in creaks and grinds.

We send our prototypes to Arizona and Alaska to the most extreme climates, to minimize these issues. I'm sure with time these rattle issues will/should disappear. Launching a new product is always stressful and the goal is to get the car to the customer as fast as possible. As time passes manufactures become more familiar with little issues, and they get resolved.
Certainly this shouldn't be the focus. If you have orders flying in, the goal should be to retain these customers (for multiple model cycles) and make them satisfied with their product, rather than getting their BMW from Germany to the US one or two weeks quicker. I specifically ordered my F30 and waited the three months, and specced it without a sunroof or folding rear seats, just to make sure there were no squeaks. With that being said, I do think that quality is generally moving in the right direction and the fit-and-finish of each generation is getting better and better.

I look forward to the day when we don't have to deal with the squeaks and rattles of loose plastic and uneven gaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
You are the only person in the world whose Ford doesn't squeak.
That's actually true... My friend's 04 Ford Explorer squeaks like crazy

Last edited by Mahzari; 02-27-2013 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0