02-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
utenigma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive

Garage List
Welcome to the next generation

Well, yesterday I did it. I finally sold my 2001 E46 330i. I ordered it in 2001 shortly after I graduated from college. Those 2 months waiting for it were the longest in my young life. It arrived with 7 miles on the odometer and was pretty much the coolest car I had ever seen, let alone driven.

Until I saw the F30, 12 years later

Just like when I was a kid, the 2 (and a half this time) months of waiting seemed like forever. I read everything I could get my hands on about the car while I waited, dreaming about the day when it would arrive.

About the start of month 2, I started to become nostalgic. In 12 years my 330 was there when I started my first job. It was there when I started dating my (later to become) wife and drove us home from our wedding. It commuted with me to and from 5 different jobs in my career, moved across the country with me and back, and carried both my kids home from the hospital.

I didn't trade it in when I picked up my 335 in December, deciding instead to try to find it a new home in the private market.

After some stalling (and prodding from my wife) I finally put it on the market. It sold to a nice gentleman from Oklahoma who seemed really excited about his purchase, and that made me happy, but I tell you I got choked up signing over the title.

I don't know if I'll have the same "relationship" with my 335, or any car ever again. Life moves on and so do we, but I will never forget tipping into the throttle for the first time 12 years ago on the onramp leaving the dealership, looking down and realizing I just crossed into triple digits.

Welcome to the next generation - you've got some pretty big shoes to fill
Attached Images

Appreciate 0