View Single Post
      01-25-2013, 04:29 AM   #340
f11tw
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
As you pointed out, since the computer stuff is so complicated now, they can just stop people from boosting it there, since it would take a Pentagon hacker genius to crack it. And save costs by no physical differentiation.
I tend to subscribe to the view that there are other mechanisms controlled by DME software that limit the output of the 20i engines, so that physical differentiation or binning is not necessary. We may not fully understand what are the mechanisms and how they work, but the blow-off valve is likely to be one of possibilities.

In the Chinese article, the author also offered his personal experience with boost level as measured by p3car. In a 320i the BOV is effected at around 0.5par, while in a 328Li(yes they have long wheelbase version of the 3-series in China) the BOV is not effected until around 1.0par. For me this sounds like a very possible way to limit the output of the 20i engine without any variance in the quality of the engine itself. Until the DME encryption is cracked the limitation will always be there.
Appreciate 0