04-07-2009, 01:13 AM   #45
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Fellow Enthusiasts,

We are now at the end of an era of a BMW ///M that we once loved. BMW and ///M, specifically has gone astray and are lost. Our once cherished sporty coupes, sedans and GTs with the characteristic powerful normally aspirated engines with killer performance high in the RPM band is lost.

Now we have 5300 pound trucks with asmatic redline performance is the new BMW and ///M. No 5300 pound truck is sporty and weight cannot be overcompensated by power but despite this known rule of performance, BMW has chosen to use the great ///M engineers on stupid trucks.

BMW and ///M have chose the path of Audi and AMG. Powerful and Heavy. Powerful good but Heavy necessarily means poor handling.

Look at the torque curve of the new engine. Flat torque curve great. But the stupid thing has a 6800 rpm redline and has an asmtha attack at 5700 rpm. Everything that we loved about BMW ///M engines is lost.

Don't believe the marketing hype. Weighs too much to handle well, fuel economy is horrible and the performance is mediocre. It satisfies no one.

I don't hold a lot of hope for the F10 M5 or the F12 M6. My current M6 is probably the last BMW that I will buy for awhile. If the 5 series PAV didn't reinforce that BMW has lost its way, the X5M and X6M demonstrates that BMW has completely lost its way in my opinion.

BMW has chosen to chase new markets and is going to forget its faithful.
Agreed, but you supported it when you purchased a M6. BMW didn't lose its way it's just off a beaten path. I was on the waitlist for the M3 but decided against it after I found out how much it has grown. I am not quite happy with the weight of my 135i either, wished I have test drove it before purchase. I would have gotten a Cayman or some other light weight vehicle.
Appreciate 0