04-07-2009, 02:10 AM   #47
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Agreed, but you supported it when you purchased a M6. BMW didn't lose its way it's just off a beaten path. I was on the waitlist for the M3 but decided against it after I found out how much it has grown. I am not quite happy with the weight of my 135i either, wished I have test drove it before purchase. I would have gotten a Cayman or some other light weight vehicle.
It's a misconception as to how much something weighs to how it drives (within reason). It is solely how the design team/developers want the car to behave is what you are feeling, with a true sportscar like the Elise feel very darty because they are appealing to a more select group of individuals and the more popular the car will be (i.e. the more diverse the group of drivers) the more safe and duller the steering inputs will be.

The best example I can think of is an F1 car, they weigh in at about 650kgs but what downforce this more than doubles when traveling above 120mph, so which does it feel like is it a 650kgs car or a 1300kgs car?

I am not saying that the X5/6M won't feel very heavy compared to a normal car because they will but when you are talking about normal cars I don't think the weight issue really comes into it as much as some people believe.
Appreciate 0