View Single Post
      03-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
loosenit2
Private
Rep
Drives: 12 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzari
With the 3-series Touring and X1 occupying such similar spaces, I don't see a very big market for this car. I think that BMW is pushing the whole "Gran Turismo" line up too hard.
I tend to think that BMW is hoping that the GT will catch on and eventually displace SUVs. Follow my logic for a moment, Americans don't want wagons, they just don't. They were popular before the 80a but when SUVs started hitting the market those became the go to family haulers. SUVs have become a matter of mixed perceptions now too, they are vilified as gas guzzlers. Car makers are under pressure to improve gas mileage, a lot of pressure. So we see them looking at various solutions, hybrids, diesels etc. one of the solutions is to displace SUVs, but how when we've already established that Americans won't buy wagons? Well the G\T seems like a gambit to do just that, displace SUVs. They have more room than a sedan, they are not a wagon, and the styling looks like a popular SUV, the x6. If the G/T catches on it is a big win for BMW, they get to phase out SUVs and have variants on existing sedans replace them. That is less expensive from a business perspective, reduced r and d, reduced maint costs, commonality of parts, better gas mileage etc, etc.

I don't know if the G/T form will catch on, there have been mixed receptions for a while. Cars like the Pontiac Aztec were hated, the hatchback Honda accords got mixed reviews, the BMW G/T 5er got mixed reviews, and now the 3 series G/T is getting mixed reviews. So don't know if it will catch on or not but I can see why BMW is pushing it, it makes sense from a business perspective.
Appreciate 0