View Single Post
      04-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #21
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

I'm still curious about this topic. It sounds like we've established the following:

Changing any F30 from the default Comfort setting to Sport changes the weight of the steering (i.e. effort required to steer).

Adding Variable Sport Steering also changes the responsiveness of the steering (i.e. steering ratio) but doesn't change the weight.

Because all F30 steering is electric, it's unlikely that either feature can adjust the feedback of the steering (i.e. how much "road noise," kickback, etc. you feel in the steering) -- that's probably defined by the decoupling of the steering input from the rack. Does that sound about right?

And that last part that's puzzling to me: looking at various features and options on the E9X line, I don't find any mention of steering changes that come from adding the Sport or M-Sport Packages. Of course different suspension and wheels/tires can have a significant difference on steering feel (especially effort and feedback), but it seems like all E9X cars used the same basic steering mechanism, not counting the rare Active Steering option.

Does this sound accurate or is there some suggestion that the steering was modified on various E9X models or trims?
Appreciate 0