DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemigo13 View Post
car sitting for a month because of chargepipe failure? you're probably joking. when mine failed it was sitting 2-3 days and it was only because of shipping new aftermarket chargepipe which I installed same day when I had it.
The day it failed and burst, i left the car in front of my garage and within a day, i knew what the problem was.

Since i have another car i could use to drive to/from work, fixing the bmw wasn't an urgency at all.
Since it was before the end of the year holidays, combined with having small kids and a house that needed attention, fixing the bmw was even less a priority.

i didn't seriously look at the possible choices and solutions until last week, that's when I researched and here is what i found (See below):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Post pics of the issue as it should not be hard to pull out. Guys replace these almost on a daily basis due to failures.

Mike
No pictures necessary, it's pretty much as you said, and pretty standard. It's just that this is all brand new for me, so i proceed with lots of precaution (unnecessarily in retrospect).

I have worked on other previous 3 series generations before, literally and practically took almost everything apart on my E30s, E36, E46, but for the F30, it was my first time dealing with the charge pipe.

Back in december, when i looked at the thing, it didn't look too difficult at all.
I disengaged both side of the pipe (at the throttle body (well basically it was already off due to the burst) and at the exit of the intercooler).
I just couldn't wiggle the CP from the bottom or the top without fearing to break anything else around it. So i pretty much left it as that for several weeks until past the new year. I didn't seriously find the time to search for the solution until last week.

Essentially, my intent was and i didn't want to take anything else out, i just wanted to yank that CP out... How hard could it be...

My friend dropped by the house a couple of weeks ago, and one of us would push the thing up from the intercooler side, then the other guy would just wiggle it out and pull it up from the top...

Looking back, i wasn't confident (strong) enough to do that by myself.
With the CP outside of the car, i started looking for replacement.

The OEM Genuine BMW part is around $309 !!!
I thought i saw it for $50 back in December, and even then i hesitated big time for the fact that i didn't want go through this again every few years...

At that price, it is a no brainer to buy after-market....
The questions were :
Which vendor to buy from and which brand ?!?
EAS
Turner Motorsport
Burger Motorsport (who doesn't want to sell to CA residents)
Mod Bargains with their 13th anniversary coupon
VR speed factory
Top Gear Solutions

AFe Power
VRSF
Active Autowerke
Evolution Racewerks

Price ranging anywhere between $220 through $375.

this is only my personal choice, i cannot choose for you since we all have different criteria.

i wanted the cheapest chrome polished finish, so it meant ER CP @ $338 free shipping and tax included. (or rather no tax)

my car is actually at 78,000 miles and there is traces of oil in the CP, so i will definitely invest in an oil catch can, and will try to do a Walnut blast later.

The CP is on its way, so i should get it by the end of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valve float View Post
just did mine...i tried yarding it out from above to no avail...drop i/c and loosen interfering coolant? lines...i pulled it out from bottom in seconds...
i didn't want to drop the intercooler and coolant lines, so instead i had my friend pushed the CP from the bottom while i twisted and pulled it from the top.... and it works, but man i dont think we could do the reverse... meaning put it back in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
here is a DIY video I put together showing how to remove the CP

http://www.spifilms.com/blog/diy-cts...-installation/
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS

After watching your video, i got the confidence to move forward... that's how i got the CP out a few weeks ago, with the help of my friend noneless.

I will surely do and post photos once i have it installed back next weekend if everything goes well.

I am also trying to bleed the brake, flush the coolant, change the oil, replace the accessory belt and replace both of my front doors' locking actuators, they are going bad.

For over a month now, i have been driving the minivan
Can't wait to hear the crack/pop and burble of the 335i exhaust again...
Appreciate 0