View Single Post
      10-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Similar comments on ride as the Autocar review.

Saloon gets 5-stars, touring 4-stars

Quote:
What’s the 2012 BMW 3 Series Touring like to drive?

Although its rear springs and dampers are slightly stronger to cope with larger loads, the Touring drives much like the 3 Series saloon.

Stick with the standard chassis set-up and you get a slightly unsettled low-speed ride, a little too much body roll in corners and the bonnet rises and falls noticeably under firm acceleration and strong braking.

Upgrade to Adaptive M Sport Suspension for £750, however, and the Touring is transformed. The steering becomes more responsive and body lean is better controlled, creating a more stable feel at high speeds and allowing the car to flow through corners.
As I stated in the other review thread, I see the F31 (now growing in size, almost the E39 5-series sizing) needs self levelling air spirings on the rear to get the car really sorted.

At least there is the adaptive suspension option, to improve the ride quality... and more.... by reading Whatcar's initial comments.

When I read the first Autocar comments about the F31 touring, several weeks ago, and it not being quite up there with the saloon drive, it got me back to 5-series thinking... Whatcar rates the F10/11 5-series saloon and touring as 5-star cars.

Then I have jumped ship and bought a 5-series, rather than wait to see how the F31 really pans out.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0