MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ironside- View Post
Hi,

Moved back to Europe (to Netherlands) from US and took my US-spec 335xi GT with me. Currently fighting with BMW Netherlands on getting the car to EU spec. They only agreed to install rear fog light (with extra, ugly switch) to pass the inspection and update maps. So:

- BMW online doesn't work (tries to connect via in-car SIM that doesn't exist, US uses Bluetooth data from your mobile)
- Traffic information doesn't work
- Etc.

The local official BMW dealer is not allowed to do any SW updates, the mother company has forbid it. So I'm looking for a place in southern Netherlands/Belgium/Dusseldorf area in Germany who could help me with US to EU conversion. And Finland would be an option too... Any recommendations?

Yeah,

Some of the telematics in your car are for US use only. The sim card itself is either from AT&T or T-Mobile USA. Unless your somehow find a way to use a local SIM and or convince them somehow to use your telematics box, you chances or getting connected drive here in Europe are very limited. There is the option of coding but in reality this IS NOT BMW connected drive. There is a way to code to use your smartphone's tethering feature and provide data to the car but this entails disabling other features. As far as i know one of the most important features of connected drive does not work without telematics and that is RTTI. You can still get TMC and TP but those are at best 30 minute traffic updates. Also the tuner in you car might crash and stop providing background radio channel scanning services and requires user intervention to get these going again. My E90 TMC and TP worked flawlessly but on my F25 X3 with NBT it works for say an hour or so and then it stops scanning radio channels in the back which in turn will cause you to loose your ability to get TMC updates.

As far as updates i think that is horseshit... I have had a E90 335i and currently an F25 X3 both US Specs here in Germany and they update the cars via ISTA/P all the time.

They probably are not used to the procedure (which is by the way the same anywhere since ISTA uses the internet) or they just dont want to deal with it.... Look to EULER BMW in Kaiserslaughtern Germany. They might be able to help.

Last edited by MSport_Jon; 02-27-2016 at 06:06 AM..
Appreciate 0