View Single Post
      11-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
jsedlak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 6spd

Please make sure all of you treat the new pads correctly. I've always been instructed to avoid heavy braking during initial wear in and avoid situations that allow heat to build up (repetitive braking, hard driving, etc.). I've yet to have an issue, though I admit I'm still young.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/....jsp?techid=85

Quote:
Originally Posted by TireRack
Bedding-in new pads and rotors should be done carefully and slowly. Rapid heat build up in the brake system can lead to warped rotors and or glazed brake pads. Most brake pad compounds will take up to 300-400 miles to fully develop an even transfer film on the rotors. Following are the recommended bed-in procedures from each manufacturer:

AKEBONO

400 to 500 miles of moderate driving is recommended. Consumer should avoid heavy braking during this period.

ATE

400 to 500 miles of moderate driving is recommended. Consumer should avoid heavy braking during this period.

BREMBO Gran Turismo

In a safe area, apply brakes moderately from 60mph to 30mph and then drive approximately 1/2 mile to allow the brakes to cool. Repeat this procedure approximately 30 times.
Appreciate 0