View Single Post
      01-25-2013, 05:19 AM   #343
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by f11tw View Post
Sorry to be straight-forward, but you seem to be making a circular argument, like circular reference in Excel... You assume that 20i and 28i engines need to be differentiated hardware-wise, so that binning is necessary.

However I guess what I'm saying (and many others if I understand correctly) is that hardware-wise the 20i and 28i can be simply identical (save for the piston crown in the high CR version). BMW uses other software-controlled mechanism(s) to differentiate the two versions.
I think u've misunderstood wht I've said. If the U0 & O0 are already differentiated hardware wise (as in the case of high compression version), no binning is necessary as those engines are destined to be U0 right from the start.

When the U0 & O0 are identical part-for-part (i.e. low compression version U0), they have to use some method to physically select particular engines to be U0 & others to be O0 (cos they're identical). After they've selected certain particular engines then they apply the software to differential the otherwise identical engines. Binning is the method used to select which low compression (i.e. identical) engines are to have the U0 software installed & which ones have the O0 software installed. It isn't a circular argument cos binning is only used as a method for selection when the engines are built using identical parts.
Appreciate 0