View Single Post
      10-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #38
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Man we wen't through this about a year ago, are these discussions gonna pop up every winter?

AWD doesnt not magically help you stay on the road, the winter tyres do. But not magically, you still gotta pay attention

I live in Sweden, the winters here are often long, snowy and cold. We brought u the Volvo, rwd til mid 90's. Never was a problem, why? Cause there's a law prohibiting summers from 1st of december (though you are allowed to put the winters on from october 15th) and the studded tyre has been a norm for ages.

Best way to go is having two setups; one dedicated to the winter and one for the summer. Dont be cheap and go all season, that'll just give u a mediocre tyre all year round. So don't think you're smart by getting the x-drive so u "only need" one setup - what u pay for the x-drive will give u that second setup and then some.

Tyres are everything. Had un-studded winters one winter, worked ok in the snow but on icy streets? Almost crashed into a tram once going 15 mph trying to stop waaay ahead of an intersection i was coming up to. Car just skid slooooowly before coming to a halt. Never again, been running Continental ContiIceContact since.

Don't fool yourselves, x-Men, It's all bout the rubber.

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0