View Single Post
      03-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #44
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
It will be mandatory on all European manufacturers soon, thats why most have brought out such a system. Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, VW ect ect, Japanese manufacturers are also rolling it out.

This is also BMW's 2nd Generation system. the 1st was on other euro BMW's for many years.
Oh, I see. That sucks.
Ok, at some point we'll all just have to learn to live with it.

This is going to suck if you have a dead battery.
Consider that now if your battery is dead, you can get a jump start.
Great, it's running. But, you're going to need some miles before you can even get some juice into your bad batter.
You get a jump, drive off and as soon as you get to the first stop, the engine dies. Great. Now you're blocking traffic while waiting for road side assistance.

But, how about a compromise.
They could at least give us a stopped time setting.
Let's say we can set if for 5 or 10 seconds after stopping.
That way we can come to full short stops at stop signs without needing to restart the engine.
That would be useful, cause if I'm actually stopping for a long enough period to get value from shutting off the engine, then shut if off instead of a 2 count, which is about the time one would wait at a stop sign.
I'd be cool with that.

Yeah, I do need to get a test drive. Maybe it's not as bad as I am picturing it to be.
And, at least I can shut if off at start up. I'll just have to add another button push to the start routine.

BTW, any word on a fuse for the auto on/off annoya....I mean "feature".

Last edited by RPM90; 03-07-2012 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0