View Single Post
      04-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #13
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude987 View Post
Okay. So I filled up the gas tank again today and made sure the doors were unlocked. Wha-la. It worked. The outside temperature was about 27 degrees and the access door slammed shut just like it should.

Tested the door locks and sure enough if the doors are locked the access door is locked also. What I don't understand is why the access door opened when one driver door was unlocked and the passenger door was locked.

So maybe, if one door is unlocked and one door is locked the access door will open but not close shut??? I dunno.

Just glad to have it resolved for now.
No need to be confused, as there is an explanation(I think). The gas access door has a spring-loaded toggle mechanism. With one push, the access panel toggles open, even if the doors are locked, but lock pin holds the panel in place(I haven't tried if a 2nd push will toggles the panel closed again). When at least one door is unlocked, the panel will pop open. If the door is locked again before the panel is pushed to close, the lock pin will block the panel to be closed.

Hopes this helps. It should be relatively straightforward to verify the above.
Appreciate 0