United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Here's how biased C&D has become.. Note this excerpt from their Ride Sharing article in the same issue:

"Both the M240i and the M2 return by right of having made 10Best last year, and their appeal remains compelling. The similarities between the models get close to confusing; both wear M badges, although the M240i is the lesser M Performance line rather than a true single integer M car, and both are powered by turbocharged 3 liter inline six engines turning (at least) their rear wheels. As such, the $8200 upcharge for the M2 ($54,495, unoptioned) looks at first sight like some kind of outrageous M tax )

I just went to bmwusa.com to equip an '18 m240i similarly to how the M2 comes equipped 'unoptioned'.. Instead of an upcharge, the M2 is over $1000 LESS.. Now which has the 'upcharge'? Whether its bias or fake news, its wrong. The M2 is a good value, period.
We get it, you love your M2.
You think it deserved a place on this year's 10Best list.
It didn't make it though.
You can call it fake news all you want just because you don't agree, that doesn't stop it from being factual.
C&D was comparing the MSRP, which is very fair and is the standard method for comparing price points.
Some people don't want a fully optioned M240i, for example.
But I digress, because C&D makes a good point here, basically implying that BMW & M have gotten lazy with its engineering. The only thing about the M2 that stood/stands out from the M235i/M240i is basically widebody and LSD.
The engine is not special, the interior/seats are not made with better materials, etc.
From that perspective, it's not hard to imagine why C&D says its tough to justify the higher price of entry (i.e., MSRP) when you're not necessarily getting something more special.

Now to clear the air, nobody, including C&D are saying your M2 is a bad car.
The only issue is that the M2 only represents/carries on only a fraction of what people liked about BMW, it doesn't really completely hit the mark like previous M-cars.
People like to compare the M2 to the E46 M3 but it doesn't hold a cradle to it, if i'm honest.
First of all, S54 > N55. An NA six with ITB & a 8000RPM redline vs. a generic turbo six, there's just no comparison in thrill and driving experience.
Second, while the E46 had many things, reliability-wise, that liked to fall apart, it was still built to be a special car. No compromises were made in the interior or the little details.
With that being said, the M2 is more like a modern US-spec E36 M3.
Both relatively nimble and "quick" for its day but both missed the mark in the engine department and in the details.
At the end of the day, if you like your car, then that's all that matters. You shouldn't care whether other people validate your opinion or share the same sentiments.

There are some very good responses in this thread.
BMW over the years, has been slipping away from what put them on the map in the first place, driving pleasure in a sensible package.
The M-cars of lore were always something that offered a special experience, something different, and a testament to the Motorsport heritage and race-derived character of the Motorsport division.

Where is BMW at today?
Well BMW is slowly shooting itself in the foot, with confusing (to the general public) nomenclatures, numb driving dynamics, modular/platform sharing. Its saving grace even during its transition to boring 4-cylinder turbo engines and electric steering was RWD, but they are already throwing that out piece-by-piece.

How about M, What are they up to now?
Again, they have a confusing marketing strategy that seems to focus on people who care about "brand name" items. (i.e., whoring out its history and heritage for a couple more bucks)
Let's slap an M-badge on everything so it appears like a better product than it already is.
Let's be honest, a car like an M550i or M240i is analogous and built similarly to yesteryear's 550i sedan and 135i coupe, but let's just make the M-sport body kit standard and add some M-badges on the wheels and door sills and pretend that it's more special. It's not.
Chasing numbers instead of an emotional driving experience yields products that are "better" but much less inspiring or appealing.
Classic dilution. M is slowly becoming nothing but a trim level that says "look at me I bought the most expensive one!"

And then you have the engines...BMW seems to have forgotten that "motor" is its middle name. Using the same recycled stuff with different states of tune.
There's a very good reason that brands seeking to rejuvenate their reputation begin with things like RWD, manual transmissions, and engines that have character & captivate driving enthusiasts.
For BMW's overall direction to move away from these things will prove suicidal in time.
We've come a long way since the days of the S54, S85, S65.
Now we have lazy engineering, from the once renowned Bayerische Motoren Werke. How the mighty have fallen.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 4
BMWM5NYC496.00
AD18350.50