12-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #83
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
I think so! Before M2 I test drove a '17 Camaro, and if I had been able to find one, would have test driven a GT350 too. Even though Id have a hard time seeing myself in those brands, I have to admit the Camaro was a hoot to drive.. I would have seriously considered it if vision had been better. As it is I found it very claustrophobic.. Its exterior dimensions, too, were larger than I wanted. The Quadrifoglio has also piqued my interest as has the RS3, neither of which was available when I bought my M2. What Ive liked about BMW all these years is, Ive always been able to find a sporty car in their lineup that has more usable room than a Cayman, but with driving dynamics that arent far off. Now, I think the RS3 would satisfy that craving, but at a higher price because of the way Audi packages their cars.
We understand you love your m2. Its an awesome car and no one is trying to sway you or make you regret your decision.

But to take this outside of why own our personal cars and look at the brand as a whole and compare it to the market is really where you see the trends beyond our personal buying. BMW's values have changed a lot in the recent years and i admire that they are really planning for the future and long term growth and expansion into new markets but saddened that much of what many enthusiasts have loved about the brand is demising. M division has to work off a standard bmw car and BMW is giving them larger and heavier chassis to work with. Many fell in love with BMW because they drove like nothing else out. There was no substitute. today, you have options.

To discover BMW today would be a weird thing. I dont think the brand commands as much loyalty and awe as it once did with its current offerings. Its that loyalty and awe that the m2, gts, cs, still mildly inspires and it is that much of us today cling onto. But for new buyers who are not of our cut, who do not have that tradition, they are looking to other brands and creating that same bond (for the same acute reasons that brought us to BMW in the first place) with other marques.
Appreciate 1