View Single Post
      04-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosz View Post
The way I see it is the 28i N20 is an overworked smaller engine which on some levels would make it consume as much gas as a larger 6 Cyl.

Now if we were talking the N20 in the 320i (which is a detuned version of the N20 in the 328i), then yes, physics alone would say the non-turbo 4 banger pushing 181 horse/184lb torque consumes way less gas than a 300 HP/300lb torque 6 Cyl in th 35. (thats a whopping 119 less hp and 116 lb less torque)

However, the 328 engine is pushing 241 horses and 258 lb torque vs 300 hp and 300 lb torque, which to me, 59 horses and 42 lb torque is not that big of a gap between the 2 engines. So how can the smaller engine not be using more fuel to produce all that power?

So thats why I'd like to know what 335i drivers are getting for city MPG in eco pro mode driving fairly conservatively.
The issue as I see it, is the BSFC (Brake Specific Fuel Consumption) map and where each engine would be running in that map, for a given driving style.

I'm sure in real world driving there will be a working range where the consumptions will be similar. Drive lighter and the smaller engine will be more fuel efficient, simply due to lower losses and greater efficiencies due to the 4-cylinder design.

It certainly will be interesting to see how each compares in ECO PRO mode of driving, but I wager the 328i will come in with better figures. Simply for the fact that the figures from the EU test regime, which is basically an ECO PRO style of test, and suggests a far better mpg from the 328i. Over 5mpg (imperial gallons) is indicated here in the UK.

HighlandPete

Last edited by HighlandPete; 04-09-2012 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0