View Single Post
      11-01-2012, 06:01 AM   #55
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Well when we say "average" then "how long is a piece of string?", I mean most of my driving is "out of town" I do not do much town driving at all, and traffic jams I avoid also, so my MPG is usually better than most...

So in my area with my style the diesel shows more driving grunt and way better MPG> I must be lucky to live out of town.
If I lived in London no way would I bother with any engine size above 1 litre, you just sit in first gear all day long.
My conclusion would be your MPG is only relevant to the local environment the car lives in.
I agree, averages, driving style, etc., we can play with mpg figures all day and convince ourselves of whatever we like.

I'm in a similar position, my driving is rural and light driving conditions. So can get quite impressive figures in some of the driving. But a lot of my current driving is short trips, school runs for the grandsons, so influences the long term average. My 330d was 37mpg over 55k miles, I would call the use 'mixed' conditions. 535i is showing 31.5mpg (brim to brim) over 2k miles, so pleased with that for 'mixed' driving. Cost is about 2 pence per mile more for fuel, about 10%, (due to fuel choice, premium diesel vs. RON 97), so it is not really a cost of fuel issue.

I'd certianly not have bought the 535i if I lived in a city or dense urban environment. Same when I had the V8, I'd see high 20's even into the 30's up here, but driving in Wiltshire and around Bath with work, I'd not see 20mpg.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0