View Single Post
      09-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #20
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny325 View Post
My friend traded in his 2009 E90 328, for a F30 sport line 328. All along, he told me that he didn't like the beak, and how the car felt. We both went and test drove the sportline F30, and neither of us was impressed with the way the car felt compared to our E90s. When I asked him what made him change his mind, he said I just want to have the newest model, even though I'm not really feeling the F30. He told me that he really misses the heavy, tight feel of his E90. I told him hopefully he gets use to the F30. Has anyone switched to the newer model, just because it's new and regret their decision. As for me, I'm keeping my E90.
Last week I got an E90 328i loaner. My F30 335i was in for a heater issue.

The steering heft in the E90 is very heavy. The F30 even in sport mode is still a bit light. Neither is "best".
My 135i had a great feel.
After having my 135i and now 335i, the E90's heft feels too heavy and unnaturally heavy at that. It doesn't give any more or less steering "feel", it's just heavier to turn the wheel.

Initial braking feels better in the E90 as it does with my former 135i. There is a bit less pedal travel before the bite comes in compared to the F30. Modulation also seems a tad better in the E90 when I compare it to my 335i. Overall braking feels very good in either model.

With AT in the E90, the 6 spd, I can easily come to a complete stop very smoothly, never a problem. With my 335i AT I can't make a smooth complete stop if my life depended on it. It just doesn't feel right, like there is still too much torque being applied to the rear wheels and as I'm braking I'm fighting against it and when the complete stop comes it always ends with my head jerking forward and the front of the car diving a bit and then rebounding with some lateral pogo'ing. Very UN BMW like.

I had to take my 335i in the other day so that they can finally fix the heater issue, and they gave me an F30 328i AT. I can make a smoother complete stop in the 328i, but not as smooth as the E90. There is still at times a bit of 'jerk' motion on the complete stop.

That's about it for things that are slightly better with the E90. Over all the F30 has a better controlled ride. The power difference is eye opening.
The 8spd AT surpasses the 6spd even though it too was great when it came out.

The interior design and inclusion of iDrive elevates the F30 well beyond the boredom of the E90's interior.
Appreciate 0