11-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #182
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Of course this change is to "cream" current owners, that's the definition of a business. The thing is, this is no more 1996, much less 2006. Now if customers do not like the price of a BMW they go to another brand and get a very capable and comparable car for considerable less cost. Kind of what happened last September.

BMW knows that their new pricing scheme is simply not working, at least in the USA. Rebates by any other name are still rebates, and BMW is really adjusting prices by offering a lot of trunk money in their cars for the last 2-3 years.

So I can see this F32 and the F80 M3/M4 costing quite more than the current models, but then just wait a bit for the $5000+ incentives to move the sucker...
That's why USA are considered a "heavy marketing enviroment".
It's functioning in Europe. Mercedes drives worse and has same prices, Audi has a mass market technology from VW and has same prices, so BMW is selling good. Another way of telling the same: the 3 main (only) competitors are keeping the price level by regarding each other (especially on the models with a high profit margin).
Other brands have only smaller cars and are technically inferior.

It's true however that less and less people buy such cars. Once the town here where I live was swamped with BMW 3 series cars; the new model? If someone bought one, I haven't seen it on the street.

Last edited by Antares; 11-13-2012 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0