View Single Post
      12-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #19
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

Currently in my garage are a 2011 E90 328i (premium, auto, cold weather) and an 2012 328i (sport, premium, DHP, manual). I have previously owned an e92 335i and an e90 335i (one was stick the other automatic, both were sport). Plus I have instructed in a bunch of e9x cars both at autocross and on the track. So I think I have a decent basis for comparison...

The e9x cars hit the mark on so many different levels it's scary. The styling, solidity, performance, brakes, handling...everything. They are brilliant cars. On the track they understeer like pigs as setup by the factory (I know that can be fixed...just referring to stock setups) and the 335i's tend to be fragile with overheating and limp modes being regular occurrences. Plus the e9x chassis takes SO long to transfer weight and take a set in corners! The OEM RFT's on the e9x series are awful in all regards and should be banished from bimmer land. Yet they are very predictable and stable with solid brakes and consistent cornering habits.

In general it is tough to criticize any e9x product.

Having sung the praises of e9x cars, I find the F30 to be better in virtually every measurable way. People rave about the steering in the e9x cars. But after driving my F30 for a while and jumping into the e90, the steering on that car feels wooden and overly heavy. There is no more feedback or accuracy IMHO. Just weight.

The interior of the F30 seems much nicer to me, and the extra room is welcomed. The M Adaptive suspension is genius! During my regular commute I really appreciate the ability to select a smooth, comfortable ride. When I want to have some fun, the switch on the center console absolutely transforms the car. It is unbelievable how big of a difference that switch makes.

On the track the F30 was very neutral, with ultra-sharp turn-in and minimal understeer. It can be throttle steered both on and off throttle with just enough rotation to be useful. It never overheats and so far has not given any sign of stress while being flogged. The OEM brakes on the 328i need attention, but I suspect better pads will go a long way to helping. IMHO the F30 328i is a much better track car than the e9x cars were (stock for stock).

Now let's talk about fuel economy. I like being able to drive the 328i like a diesel and get diesel-like gas mileage. During my slow daily commute through the worst of LA rush hour, I am still getting between 28 and 29 MPG regularly. That is freaking awesome! In a similar commute my wife is getting around 18 in her e90. ASS doesn't really bother me anymore, although I attribute that in large part to the fact that my car is a MT. I'm not sure I would like ASS as much if the car was an automatic.

The e9x cars are much more quiet on the highway than the F30 is. Both of my current cars were euro delivery so I had a chance to test both at speeds not legally possible in the US. Without a doubt the e90 was more serene at triple digit speeds.

I've owned e36 M3's, e46 cars of various configurations, a few e9x, an x5, a couple of x3's (including one with MT that took some trophies at autocross), a z3, e39 5-series and a smattering of other brands. With each subsequent generation owners of the outgoing model dump all over the new model as being too big, heavy, with poor steering and a loss of BMW'ness. This debate between the e9x and f30 cars is no different and will repeat when the successor of the F30 comes out. Personally I am just grateful that BMW continues to offer products that people are enthusiastic about and hope they continue to do so in the future.
Appreciate 0