View Single Post
      04-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
glitched79
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

I'm getting above average MPG.

I have over 2200 miles on my new 328i, and I'm averaging about 34.5 mpg.

I think the owners who are getting below average MPG must be driving in Sport or Comfort mode most, if not all, of the time. The transmission gear mapping is completely different for each mode, shifting later for Sport, sooner for Comfort, and soonest for Eco Pro. So regardless of how you actually drive while in any of those modes, Eco Pro will always result in the best gas mileage.

Sport mode makes the transmission shift later, which keeps the engine's RPM at a higher speed because that's when the turbos kick in and produce the most horsepower. That's why Sport is faster.

Obviously Eco Pro is also the slowest, but after you get used to how the gas pedal works differently in each mode, you can easily get used to it.

Comfort is the normal mode, and it's a bit of a compromise between the two other modes. It doesn't shift quite as late as Sport, so it gets a little better gas mileage while sacrificing only some of Sport's peppiness.

I drive almost exclusively in Eco Pro mode. I'm coming from a standard manual transmission 2008 MINI Cooper (which I loved), so anything other than Eco Pro is wayyyy faster than I'm used to or really need. But I like the idea that pressing further on the gas pedal will result in a substantial burst of power and allow me to get around or in front of just about anything.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a slow driver. I'm actually kinda a speed demon. But in terms of acceleration, just like in my MINI, I don't always need the car to be a rocket. As long a I know the car will comfortably travel at cruising speeds of up to 80-90mph, its enough for me.
Appreciate 0